Sunday

Part 2-Scrub a Dub Dub















Anyone remember Apri? It was the first over-the-counter facial scrub I can recall. This was back in the 80s, a time where my dermatologist had me sit under a sunlamp wearing goggles until I was burned. I'd go back to school looking like a raccoon. The concept was to get the skin to peel. This was pre-Retin A.

Back to Apri--imagine Queen Helene's apricot scrub with a lot rougher of a texture. Scrubs are good, but they should be fine, not the equivalent of rubbing gravel on your face.

A dear friend who is an esthetician turned me on to the wonders of baking soda. From what she told me, it was often used in treatments at the practice where she worked.

Baking soda is not only all natural, but it is cheap. I often can get a box for 50 cents. It can be used it as a facial scrub in several different ways:

1. Baking Soda and Water-Just pour about a tablespoon into your palm, put enough water in to make a paste and gently massage your entire face and neck.

or

2. Baking Soda and Olive Oil-Like above, mix a tablespoon or so of baking soda with enough EVOO to make a paste. Massage as above.

With both methods just rinse with warm water several times. If you don't rinse well, you'll feel a bit of grit on your face. But when you rinse properly, your face will not only feel silky soft, but you will glow. I have gotten many a complement when I have gone out post-scrub.

While you could put either mixture in a jar, I find it a lot easier to mix enough in my hand. I recommend doing this a couple of times a week. It has been a miracle for me when it comes to ridding my face of blackheads, something that I have battled my entire life. If you, like me, like to wield the comedone extractor, it will make your work a lot easier.

Also, both versions of the scrub work equally well on the entire body. I prefer to do the baking soda with water in the shower, and then afterwards, moisturize with EVOO or Baby Oil, as oil in a wet tub or shower is very dangerous.

Lastly, the baking soda and olive oil scrub is wonderful for DIY pedicures and manicures.

5 comments:

  1. I do remember Apri - in a tube. Fancy that and now I wonder what it did to our skins. Not sure baking soda - sodium hydrogen carbonate?- is a great thing to put on your skin - do you know how it's made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that all of this is so true!

    With people like you we learn new stuff!
    Dont stop posting

    Skin care solutions

    stefo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that all of this is so true!

    With people like you ,we have the chance to learn new tricks.Keep posting and thank you!

    Skin care solutions

    stefo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned new beauty product tips from your post that deserves a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking soda has indeed great value on our skin problems. They can be used as facial mask or being applied to dark spots of your skins. Thus, we shouldn't ignore how useful baking soda is. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete